Thursday, October 19, 2006

what the heck is Holistic Nutrition anyway?

I have always had an interest in nutrition. Why can some people eat certain things while others can't? Why do some of us sneeze at the thought of a cat and others are fine? These things fascinate me. So after much soul searching, I enrolled at the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition. I studied there for a year and found it satisfying and challenging. I was also going through a divorce at the time and although studying Anatomy while crying uncontrollably was difficult...being at the school and in that headspace really saved me. I became more intune with energy and really focused on the road ahead. I found what I needed from the "hippyness" of the field.

So what is it I do? Holistic Nutrition is based on the idea that the digestive tract is the most important system in the body and that every illness or symptom that we have is due to a "bad" or "dirty" digestive system. Relief comes from cleansing and eliminating the foods that cause digestion to be harmed. The standard diet of most Canadians is full of processed foods that reek havoc on digestion. Holistic Nutrition says that by cleaning up the diet, you improve health.

The thing that I have noticed is that there are SO many different diets and cleanses out there that people are confused. I am confused! New diets are popping up everywhere and all of them claim the same thing. My hope is that people will move toward Holistic Nutrition and see that your diet should be your lifestyle, not something you do for a short time and that cleanses should be easy and not come in a package. Foods should be whole and clean and serve your body.

After all this yaking, here are some simple things we can all do to improve digestion and overall health, besides Eat your Veggies....

1. Chew food well. Didn't your mom tell you to chew your food? Digestion begins in the mouth. When food is not well chewed and is too big to be properly broken down, incomplete digestion occurs. Not only do nutrients not get extracted from the food but undigested food becomes a breading ground for bacteria in the colon which can lead to bacterial overgrowth, gas and other symptoms of indigestion.
A good rule of thumb is - if you can still recognize the food in your mouth by texture or flavour when you swallow it, you haven't chewed enough.

2. Choose whole food. Whole food is food that is closet to it's natural state. Many digestion issues are due to an overprocessed diet. Whole foods have more nutrients, enzymes and best of all, flavour.

3. Know where your food comes from. Part of healthy eating is mindful eating. Feeling good about your food means knowging where it comes from. We all hear tales of organic and seasonal eating...I agree that organic is important as is eating with the seasons. Try buying produce and meat as farmers markets.

4. Fiber, fiber, fiber! A healthy digestive tract exists because of a diet that includes both soluble and insoluble fiber. Eating fruits and veggies are important as are whole grains. Try sprinkling ground flax seeds on your food - grind them yourself for both fiber and omega 3's.

Be well,
c

1 Comments:

Blogger Julia said...

I can't wait for more posts! And recipes! Mmmmm...recipes. My kitchen is stocked with 'hippy' ingredients thanks to you - I wonder if my digestive tract is happy...

6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home