Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Parsnips for Grandpa


I was making soup with assorted root veggies and as I started chopping a parsnip, childhood memories flooded into my mind. The sweet, coca cola-like smell reminded me of Grandpa. I remember my Grandma boiling parnips on the stove while we sat at the table. He was my favourite person when I was a kid. He was the kindest, funniest person and will remain the man all men will always have to live up to. He died almost 20 years ago and I miss him everyday.



Parsnips are one of those root veggies that's peeking right about now. They are available pretty much all year, but the blast of the first frost is what brings out the sweetness. They are very high in calcium and potassium. They also contain vitamin C, vitamins B1, B2, B3, iron and zinc.

They can be eaten in a number of ways. I love to roast them as an alternative to potatoes. Really, all you have to do is mix them up with some olive oil and spice of your choice, like salt, pepper and cayenne. Roast them at 400 for about 30-minutes, or if you have a toaster oven or a broiler, you can broil them.

Or a simple soup:
1 celery stalk, diced
1 small onion, diced
2 medium parsnips, chopped
water or veggie stock
salt and pepper

Saute onion and celery in a little olive oil until fragrant and a bit translucent. Add parsnips and continue cooking for about 7 minutes. Cover with stock and bring to a boil. Add salt and pepper and simmer until parsnips are tender.

Pulse half the soup in the food processor and return it to pot. Give it a stir and add more salt and pepper if you wish.

Take care,
The Nutritionista

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home