Thursday, January 25, 2007

If you are what you eat, then I'm a chickpea

I feel like I have been lax with the posts as of late...but things have been a bit hectic. Hectic in a good way though.

So, here is a simple soup created by my friend Lucy. It was made yesterday by yours truly as the soup at The Embassy. I have altered it slightly from the original recipe (sorry Lucy). Nothing says cozy like a chickpea soup.


LUCY'S NORTH AFRICAN CHICKPEA SOUP

don't take food photos in bars, pubs or taverns - lesson learned

What you need:
2 carrots, chopped
1 medium potato, chopped
4 cloves garlic, diced
2 cups cooked chick peas or 2 cans (good quality like EDEN brand)
veggie stock or water
2 tbsp chopped parsley
2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
s+p

Saute garlic in about 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and add potato and carrots, stir in spices and saute for about 5 minutes, or until carrots are tender. Add chick peas and parsley and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring. Cover veggies with stock and simmer for 15-20 minutes. You may need to add more water if it seems thick. Then add salt and pepper to taste.
Pulse a few times in a food processor.


I love chick peas!! They are a great source of protein and high in B vitamins. They also contain zinc, magnesium, iron and calcium and are a great source of dietary fiber. They are super versatile too, making them a great staple, especially in vegetarian diets.

All hail the chickpea! Speaking of hailing...I have to be honest, I really have no idea who is reading this blog. Besides friends and people I know and the fantastic people that have already commented, I am pretty clueless as to who my readers are. I guess I am asking you to make yourself known. I'm not fishing for complements either. Just say hello. Every little "peep" helps. After all, comments are the blood that keeps the blog alive. Right?

Take care,
The Nutritionista

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Julia said...

I am a pineapple.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Alexia said...

"peep?"

1:48 PM  
Blogger Cedar said...

oh my, i would have to agree with you on being a chickpea....sometimes when i don't feel like making a lunch, i will just sit down with a can of chickpeas!!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Nirmala Basnayake said...

Chickpeas are so delicious! I, too, like eating them straight out of the can.

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home