Wednesday, November 29, 2006

ROOOOOT for roots!

Root veggies are grounding foods, representing strength and stability. They get their nourishment from the soil and can live under there - pushing through the rocks and sometimes tough earth.

We aren't like this...we grow downwards - pushing into the ground, we move around, we struggle our whole lives to be "rooted". That is why root veggies are so satisfying to us. They ground us and warm us.

Often times, comfort foods contain some sort of root or warming food. We crave comfort foods in the colder months, when we need to feel warm and nourished. I know I crave casseroles and anything I can eat in a bowl at this time of the year.

So...I thought I would post a recipe for a casserole, inspired by sheppard's pie - the mother of all comfort foods.
Enjoy!


VEGGIE SHEPPARD’S CASSEROLE

5 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced. I had some beets when I made this dish so I threw 2 in - don't do this unless you want your casserole to be overwhelmingly RED.

3 cloves garlic, minced
1 red onion, chopped
1 medium zucchini, diced
3 carrots, diced
1 small red pepper, chopped
1 cup brown mushrooms, diced
1 package tempeh, chopped into ½ inch pieces
2 tbsp tamari
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 can chick peas
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste

In a medium pot, boil sweet potatoes until mash-able. Mash with some rice milk (or milk of choice) or water, salt and pepper and set aside.


Meanwhile, in a large pot, sauté garlic and onion until translucent. Add carrots and sauté about 5 minutes more.

Add remaining veggies and tamari, stir and cook on medium for 5-7 minutes. Add tomatoes and beans, cayenne, salt and pepper and simmer for about 15-minutes.

Layer mash on top of mixture and bake in casserole dish at 375 for about 20 minutes.


Like I said before - mine was beet-tastic. I strongly suggest to follow the recipe and stick to sweet potatoes. I love beets as much as the next guy but it was too much red.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home