Tuesday, October 24, 2006

My Best Breakfast

My first recipe post! This is a bit of a cop out one....but I had to make this tonight so I figured why not post it. This is a great , yummy breakfast. The seeds provide protein. The apple butter mixture and the cranberries make it slightly sweet.

Just so ya know and since this is my first official recipe post...
I ALWAYS mean organic ingredients, unless otherwise specified. I am big on using the best ingredients you can find.
Sure, it's not always possible to get organic and that's ok too. Don't ever avoid making something because you can't find something organic....but do try.



What you need:
3 cups rolled oats
½ cup flax seeds
¼ cup raw pumpkin seeds
1 cup chopped raw almonds
2 tablespoons of apple butter dissolved in ¼ cup warm water
¼ cup flax oil - * TAKE THIS OUT (YOU WILL USE IT LATER ON IN A BETTER WAY)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cups dried cranberries
½ cup flaked unsweetened coconut

Preheat oven to 350 and lightly oil 2 cookie sheets (use olive oil or coconut oil)

Mix oats, seeds and nuts in a large bowl. Combine the apple mixture, oil, vanilla and cinnamon in a small bowl.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until everything is well coated. Spread the mixture onto the cookie sheets. I have one big round one, so I just bake in two batches. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Stir it up after 10 minutes to mix it up a bit and avoid burning along the sides. At this time, add the cranberries - you can also mix them with everything beforehan, but they tend to harden if cooked too long.

Store in an airtight container. I always eat it pretty quickly but I suppose if you plan on keeping it for a while, it should go in the fridge. To serve, POUR GRANOLA IN A BOWL, THEN ADD 2 TBSP FLAX OIL and eat with rice milk or soymilk, honey if you want and fresh fruit (I dig the banana, cranberry combo).

* EXPLANATION FOR THE CHANGES - flax oil is an unstable oil and heating it renders the omega 3 useless. Pouring it on the granola allows you to get your daily dose of omega 3 fatty acids. It does not make the granola oily at all and actually adds a nice flavour. Give it a try.

YUM!

6 Comments:

Blogger Julia said...

Mmmmmmm... I'm so making this soon.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Uber Mer said...

uh..... yum!

I'm allergic to nuts, what can you recommend instead?

12:12 PM  
Blogger The Nutritionista said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:34 PM  
Blogger The Nutritionista said...

Are you allergic to all nuts?
Maybe some other seeds like sunflower or sesame?

3:34 PM  
Blogger Uber Mer said...

I'm allergic to all nuts, but I can still eat seeds. thanks : )

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I just read the original post for the first time a couple of days ago! The granola looked and sounded so yummy that I made a mental note ("Prepare Cathy's granola at later date"). It still looks and sounds great, so I will make sure to add the flax oil at the end.

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home