Friday, October 20, 2006

We Feed the World - A film review



"Given the current state of agriculture in the world, it could feed 12 billion people with no problem. Or to put it another way: any child who dies of starvation today is in fact murdered." Jean Ziegler, UN Special Rapporteur on the Right to Food
(Switzerland)

I was just in Vancouver for the past few weeks - the Vancouver Film Festival was happening while I was there. My brother and I were determined to see a film. I decided to see We Feed The World, my thought was I'd be "working" and maybe i could write off some of my trip. Crafty!

Funny story though, we are waiting in line and some guy comes up to me and says that his friend didn't show up and gives me a ticket! Then, we are in the theatre and they ask us all to check under our seats to see if there is a post-it. After being hesitant to put our hands under movie theatre seats, my bro had a post-it and won a $25 certificate for Capers, this really expensive organic food shop. It's not like we're that type of people that stuff like that happens to, so it was odd.

So my review... We Feed the World is a documentary by Austrain filmmaker, Erwin Wagenhofer. The film is basically going to France, Spain, Romania, Switzerland, Brazil and back to Austria to talk to farmers, fisherman and heads of corporations to talk about where food comes from. The images are pretty disturbing and well shot. If you have never seen a chicken processing plant from egg to grocery store, see this film. The film deals with globalization, starvation, pesticide use and GMO farming. It points the finger at corporations and the almighty dollar.


Baby chicks ....to grow up to be "plump chicken breast"

The film ends with an interview with Peter Brabeck, Chairman and CEO of Nestlé International, which is the food company that owns everything. His thoughts about food floored me. Between talking about the merits of GMO framing, he actually said that having water should not be a right and that is why he deserves to bottle and sell it. What that meant to me is DON'T BUY DASANI.

It should be out on DVD at some point. I'll post something if I see it playing on Toronto. See this movie!
http://www.we-feed-the-world.at/en/trailer.htm

3 Comments:

Blogger Julia said...

I think that movie might put me over the edge to becoming vegetarian again. Remind me to have one last steak before I see it!

8:21 AM  
Blogger The Nutritionista said...

That's the idea!! Organic steak is fine...you won't want to have chicken or conventionally fished fish after seeing it, I promise.

1:27 PM  
Blogger LuciMama said...

Nestle is so disgusting. You know about all the folks who boycott them because of the baby formula fiasco, right?

And the really sucky thing is that Nestle, Coca Cola, and Pepsico own the majority of bottled water brands in the marketplace these days: it's reallly hard to avoid all of them.

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home