Thursday, October 26, 2006

Fractal Food

Thursday is my weekly trip to the market. As I walked there, I thought, “hey I can probably feature a veggie every week on the blog!”. Once I got there, there was all this buzz about a veggie that no one knew the name of and that was that. So....

I bring you Broccoli Romanesco …



This kooky looking cauliflower/broccoli/cabbage is a naturally occurring crop that is harvested end of September and into October. And look, It matches the blog! My guess is that it has the same nutrients as any cruciferous veggie, making it a great anti-oxidant, high in Vitamin C and fiber. It tastes a tad more nut-like than cauliflower but has cauliflower’s texture. I’d say it tastes like the perfect combo of cauliflower and broccoli with a hint of almond or some sort of nut. Not sure what I’m going to do with it yet, I feel I should use it for something totally awesome but perhaps it will end up as just a salad or steamed with some rice.

And here’s where the total geek in me flows out like a river but I don’t care! The really neat thing is that it’s a fractal food (it has self-similar patterns that occur over and over and over). I remember having to study fractals in University while taking photography and wondering, “where does this ever happen so that you can actually see it, without having to magnify something a million times, except outer space?” Now I know – it happens in veggies!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Julia said...

This thing is too pretty to eat! It's hard to believe it's not some frankenfood with no nutritional value. I think you should put it in a stew with other unusual veggies - like purple potatoes and yellow tomatoes - freaky!

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home