Saturday, March 10, 2007

Summer in March

The weather in Toronto has been less than desirable lately - cold, cold and more cold. I am all for eating with the seasons and I have eaten my share of roots this season and wanted something else. Maybe I felt the warm weather coming and tonight is daylight savings. And heck, sometimes it's nice to pretend you're on the beach after coming in from the cold.

This recipe mixes all of the six tastes: salty, sweet, bitter, astringent, spicy and pungent, which helps keep digestion balanced.




Summer in March salsa

1 cup corn (use frozen organic corn if you are playing the summer in march game and fresh is not in season)
1 avocado, diced
1 small red onion, diced (onion taste in this can be really over-powering)
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp tumeric
1 small bunch of cilantro, chopped
juice of one lime
sea salt and cayenne pepper to taste

Serve with corn tortilla chips or dollop on top of chili.

*this recipe was adapted from The Chef at Home. Most of his recipes are meat and dairy based and not my cup of tea at all. I do love watching his show, mainly to gush at his house in PEI and I gotta say, he's taught me a thing or two about the science of cooking. Last time I watched, I learned that to re-crisp wilty lettuce, you should let is sit in warm water before putting it in a cool water bath. That way the tiny lettuce pours soak up the warm water, plumping them up, before they are cooled shut by the cold water.

Take care,
The Nutritionista

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home