Saturday, March 31, 2007

I am Dr. Pepper

I must admit this week has been a work-fest and I'm afraid the blog has taken the fall. As the schedule is winding down, I made a promise to post something this week. It is now Saturday afternoon and I'm cutting it close!

Today's fun food facts are all about Black Pepper.



PEPPER is one of those thing that in my opinion, we take for granted. Black pepper is everywhere, on tables at restaurants and in pretty much all recipes. It's a staple for sure, a staple that serves a purpose.

Black pepper, when used properly, is great for digestion. It has properties that tell your stomach to produce the juices needed to properly process the food we eat, especially protein. It also helps us pee, sweat, have less gas and loose weight. The catch is that the pepper commonly found on tables is ground up and mixed with other spices and things like sugar. In order to get all the benefits, pepper should be fresh and ground up right before using. If used for cooking, it should always be added at the end as heating it can take away flavour and kill the enzymes.

Black pepper is also great for your blood, containing manganese, Vitamin K and iron.

Take Care,
The Nutritionista

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOOOOOVE black pepper. I cannot abide any other kind. In fact this weekend I am visiting a friend's farm and I specially went and bought a mini travel-size peppergrinder and filled it with corns just in case they don't have one there. It's too important.

11:28 PM  
Blogger The Nutritionista said...

I've done that too!!

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home