Monday, June 18, 2007

Drink it, it's good for you

My apologies to anyone who has been checking the blog and getting nothing new. Thank you for your devotion and I promise to keep it up this summer, with lots of new recipes and fun food facts. Promise promise!

There is always talk about "super foods" and everyone and their mother is trying to sell you their version of the food that will change your life. I am not selling you anything but I do believe there is a food that is "super", it's blue green algae.


SPIRULINA
is commonly refered to as "The World's Healthiest Food". It is a simple, one-celled form of algae that grows in warm, alkaline fresh-water bodies.

So what's the deal? This "food of the future" has an amazing ability to synthesize high-quality concentrated food more efficiently than any other algae. What does that mean? It's not like scum, it's an algae unlike no other that can grow at a rapd rate and still maintain it's high nutrient quality.

It is a complete plant protein and it 60% protein, which is a huge amount considering that beef is only 22%. It is also one of the few easy to absorb plant sources of B12. It also contains all your other B-vitamins, beta carotene, iron, and GLA (an essential fatty acid found in breast milk). It is a vegetarian's dream come true.

It all sounds great right? Most people hear about spirulina or see it and have no idea what to do with it. There are many ways to incorporate it into your diet. It comes in either a powder or a pill form. I like the powder since I can use it in many things. I am one of those people that is bad at taking pills, so drinking my supplements justs works best. I like organika and a large container costs about $40.

I recommend starting with 2 teaspoons per day. I have a small-ish screw top glass container that I fill with 1/3 with water, 1/3 with some sort of juice, whatever I have (I like Black River Organic Apple and Strawberry) and then add 2 tsp of spirulina. The jar allows me to shake it up since nothing is worse than gulping down a large undissolved mass of powder. I guarantee doing this once a day will give you more energy (with all those B-vitamins) and help eliminate toxins.


here's the gang, ready for their daily duty

Try it.

Take care,
The Nutritionista

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Julia said...

Needs booze.

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home